Monday, February 17, 2014

Why the church should welcome LGBTQ Christians

I was recently asked why I am a welcoming pastor.
I enjoyed writing up my reflections, and so I thought I would share them here.

Why am I a welcoming pastor to LGBTQ Christians, advocating for full inclusion in the church?
It is a fair question. After all, there are no specific texts that say “same gender sexual relationships are fine” and there are texts in Leviticus, Romans, and Timothy, (with the Romans text being most convicting and most explicit), that seem to condemn homosexuality, sometimes in very stark terms (abomination, and suggesting that the proper punishment for two men having sex together is the death penalty). My negative argument here is simple- these texts refer not to committed partnerships, but to idol worship and pagan religious festivities, as well as the age inappropriate relationships practiced in ancient Greece, as well as the simple point that it would be evil to punish gay sex with death, which suggests we might wonder whether these particular texts should be guiding our decision making on the issue. But that is a negative argument.

So to offer the positive case-




my Biblical hermeneutic has never been to examine the Bible for rules and then try to follow them. I don't think that's how Jesus read the Bible, how Paul read the Bible, how the gospel writers read the Bible, and I don't think it is how the church should read the Bible. Rather, I believe Jesus had a pattern of looking for God's vision, and then describing the ethics, values, and stories that come from that kingdom center. (this is basically the model you can find in Kingdom Ethics by Glen Stassen).
And the kingdom center that I see at the heart of the gospel of Jesus Christ is to love our neighbor as ourselves, to care for the least of these, and to invite the children of God to come to Christ. The reason I am a welcoming pastor to gay and lesbian Christians is because I believe Jesus Christ, my lord and savior, commands me always, every day, and in every way, to care more about these central values-the value of people.

Just as Jesus welcomed the woman at the well (John 4), Zaccheus in the sycamore tree (Luke 19), the woman with a flow of blood (Mark 5), the disciples who were tax collectors (Matthew 9:9-13), the Syro-Phonecian woman (Mark 7:25-30), and many others, just as he told stories of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32), the good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37), and the wedding banquet (Luke 14:15-24), just as Peter discovered with Cornelius that God shows no partiality (Acts 10), and just as Paul encouraged the people to remember that God has torn down the dividing walls between people (Ephesians 2:14), I think that we are called to read the Bible and remember that if the rules we proclaim do not cohere with the Gospel message, well, we have heard it said, but Jesus says unto us... (Matthew 5)

I think the text is clear-Jesus fought the Pharisees because they were too caught up in their rules to pay attention to the greatest commandment. On the one hand, there was a community of strictly law abiding people, who knew what God wanted from them, and what everyone else was supposed to do, and made sure everyone knew about it. They prayed with gratitude that they knew the path to salvation (Luke 18:11), and that they were on the narrow way of following God's rules. On the other hand, there was a man who ate with tax collectors and sinners (Luke 7:34), who broke the rules every day. He let unclean women wash his feet (Luke 7:36-50), he let his disciples eat grain on the Sabbath, he had the temerity to suggest that the law was created for humankind, and not the other way around (Mark 2:23-27)! He called the Pharisees white washed tombs, warning them that they were building walls between the least of these and God (Matthew 23), that they were neglecting justice, mercy, and faithfulness (Matthew 23:23), because they could not look beyond the tithing of herbs to the gospel call to love our neighbors and our enemies, to open the walls and let the rif-raf come in.

So that's what we are called to do. So what does it mean to follow the Biblical commandment to Love our neighbors and our enemies more than we love rules and laws?

I don't think it means ignoring rules and laws. I believe in sin! Theft is bad, murder is wrong, racism and sexism are endemic and opposed to the kingdom of God. But the core aspect that binds these sins together and leaves out LGBT Christians is that these sins cause harm to children of God. The flow directly from the greatest commandment, God's vision of loving God, neighbors and enemies. In a similar way, I believe in obedience. There are lots of commandments that are worth following just because the Bible says so. I follow the Bible's teaching on not swearing oaths, footwashing, and choose to give at least 10% of my income because it is good to practice obedience.

But if the rules and laws we interpret from the Bible contradict one of central messages of Jesus Christ then we cannot in good conscience follow those rules.

So, does the Church's historic condemnation of same-sex relationships block people from seeing Jesus, from loving neighbor and enemy, from welcoming the least of these?

Well, I believe it does. It hurts gay and lesbian people around the world.
The prohibition against LGBTQ sexuality has had significant consequences-increased suicide rates for LGBTQ teens. Sham marriages broken later in life. People feeling like part of who they are is unwelcome in the church. People coerced into lives of celibacy or hidden sexuality, unable to share their intimate partners with the world, or ask for support in times of grief or trouble. Countless children who have had to hide who they were from their parents, or who have been rejected by their families and their churches, cast out 'for their own good'. It’s led gay people to be paralleled with pedophiles and other sexual offenders, caused Christians to parade outside gay funerals with signs reading ‘God hates fags', and caused gay people to be imprisoned and even murdered for the act of love.

The acts of Christians against gay and lesbian people through history have completely failed to demonstrate the love of God in Christ. Christian love means that we should care much more about the state of people's hearts than how closely they hew to the rules that we have set for them. And I believe that to twist the word 'love' into something that allows us to deny people communion, marriage, and salvation itself, let alone the kind of harassment and violence that so many gay and lesbian children face because we think they might be sinning is far from the gospel. I know too many strong, happy, and healthy same sex couples to ask my brothers and sisters in Christ to break up their marriages in order to join the church.

Second, the Church's condemnation of gay and lesbians blocks our ability to invite people into the church. Our focus on 'the rules' around human sexuality has left the church splintered and weakened in it's proclamation. When asked what it means to be Christian, over 80% of young people between 19-26 both inside and outside of the church defined it as being 'anti-homosexual'. That is a disgrace. If we are known more for condemning than for loving, both inside the church and out, then that is a sign that we have done something very wrong. We should return to our real task, which is to go and make disciples. The heart of the gospel is this: “For God so loved the world that he sent his only son, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have eternal life.” If that eternal truth is being obscured, and if our ministry is being clouded because we believe homosexuality is a sin, then as Paul says “we have no such custom” (1 Corinthians 11:16). The people we are called to offer the gospel to are more important than the rules.

And finally, because I care about my own relationship with God, I worry about using power incorrectly. I believe the primary sin Jesus identified in the Pharisees was that they blocked the way to God unnecessarily for other people. They abused the power and authority that they had been given.

In our modern world, I don't want to be on the side of the Pharisees. There are people beaten and wounded in the streets, who are asking for love, for welcome, for inclusion, for justice, for the chance to function as normal members of society and the church. And it is only the Samaritans-the atheists, the liberal secularists, the politicians, who have been willing to pull over and enter into real conversation and undergo real conversion.

In the Bible I read about Christ defending the least of these, and critiquing the social system of first century Judaism that left the sick and the poor ritually unclean and unable to access God.
And I worry when I see the 96% of the population that is straight imposing high hurdles on gay and lesbian people before allowing them access to the divine. There is an old saying- “In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.” (Anatole France). Well, that's not the way God's law works. Jesus healed on the Sabbath (Mark 3:1-6), and quoted affirmingly the story of David feeding his men the bread that had been consecrated (Mark 2:23-27), and following in his footsteps, Paul was willing to eat meat sacrificed to idols (1 Corinthians 8) and abandon circumcision, the most sacred rite of Judaism (Galatians 5-an aside-I notice I am circumcised, despite this direct command of Paul. I wonder when we changed our minds on that). One of the primary tasks that Jesus came for was to tear down the walls people built up around God that made it hard for people to get in. It is one thing for gay and lesbian people to decide that marrying the people they love is sinful. It is a treacherous step for me to decide on their behalf how to read the text, when it is not a question that affects me directly. I have met many Christians in same sex relationships who demonstrate the gifts of the spirit, who practice powerful ministry, who proclaim God's resurrection promise. I do not want to risk my soul plucking twigs out of the eyes of those LGBTQ brothers and sisters when I should be working on the log in my own.

So I guess, in the end, I acknowledge there are a few scattered texts that may suggest people should not have sex with other people of the same gender. But the core of the law of God is clear. We are the church, called to witness to the poor and the broken-hearted, to heal the sick and proclaim peace to the nations. And the poor and broken-hearted have come to our doors, asking to be let in, testifying that they have been saved, and demonstrating the presence of the Holy Spirit in their lives. When Jesus of Nazareth asks me on the judgment day, what did you do for the least of these? I want to be able to say, I welcomed them, and visited them, and let them in. And that is why I am a welcoming pastor.


http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-services/homeless-and-runaway-youth.aspx
http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/html/facts_molestation.html
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/2007-10-10-christians-young_N.htm

18 comments:

  1. Sam, although I disagree with your position, I mostly agree with what you've written. I completely agree that our theology must center on the greatest commandments, a care for the broken and least among us, and justice for the oppressed. I will be the first to stand up and say that the church's treatment of who is now known as LGBTQ people has mostly been awful and our effort to welcome and care for them hasn't met the standard of loving our neighbors, or for that matter any standard Jesus showed us.
    At the same time, I disagree with the growing belief in our church, and one advocated by yourself and Pink Menno's, that holding to the traditional teachings on sexual intercourse between persons of the same gender is somehow contradictory to Jesus' central teaching of love. The Church's historic treatment of LGBTQ persons has been contradictory, but does it really contradict Jesus' core teachings? I don't believe so. Jesus consistently held to high ethical standards (including sexual morality) while welcoming and including people to be a part of his movement; showering love, kindness, and forgiveness on those he encountered. In these acts, the fullness of God's grace was seen. The belief that a church or pastor can only be welcoming if he/she/they approve of LGBTQ sexual practice seems to me to be near-sighted. As a pastor myself, it is my goal to be welcoming of people who identify as LGBTQ in my area, and God-willing, our church family will see an increase in their number among us. It is my goal that I will love them as Christ loved, so that I will too be adherent to the central teachings of Jesus and that grace will flow unhindered to all by the power of the Holy Spirit.
    I too mourn the discrimination, suicide, bullying, and hate that the gay community experiences, especially from the church. I hate that. However the assumption that traditional church theology is the sole cause of increased LGBTQ teen suicide ignores a more probable cause of this deep despair, namely the hypocrisy of the church and its subsequent failure to be the loving, grace filled community who welcomes and journey’s with all in the name of Christ. The hypocrisy of the church has been staggering, and I mourn our inability to live up to Christ's teachings of love and grace.
    Sam, your desire to be a welcoming pastor is commendable and certainly is a compassionate and honest reflection of your desire to live Christ centered; offering the good news of Christ to a group of people who have mostly been neglected and pushed out…but I would challenge your perception of what “welcoming” really means as we look to Jesus who lived the tension between grace and truth, and who called both disciples and the oppressed to a higher ethic while offering grace without regard. For myself I long to be the pastor I see in Jesus; accepting the challenge to live his third way; the way that is willing to inhabit that space which is becoming increasingly difficult and unpopular to dwell in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brett,
    thanks for your kind and challenging words! I hear your concerns about maintaining proper balance between grace and truth.
    Three things-first, I celebrate my relationship with you and many other Mennonites who disagree with me on this issue-I know God will sort it out in the end, and we can do no more than seek to be church with one another in the meantime.

    Second, I acknowledge the ambivalence around 'welcoming' as a tag. The mainline Protestant 'open and affirming' is probably more fair. As Chuck Neufeld, my conference minister, likes to say, from the most liberal to the most conservative, we all want to welcome everyone to join the church. The question is what our expectations are once people come inside.

    Which is where of course we differ.
    So, Three, At the 10,000 foot level, I think we agree-Christians are called to a higher ethic, giving up the ways of the world in order to live out the gospel of Christ to the best of our ability. The third way we preach is that we are called to both grace and obedience. I just don't think that prohibiting same sex marriage is a faithful representation of the ethics of Jesus. As I explain in the post, I think that focus on same sex relationships distracts from larger questions of economic justice and right relationships that were at the heart of Jesus' agenda, and I think it is uniquely dangerous for Christians to describe same sex relationships as sinful, because to do so allows straight people to 'talk holy' without having to 'act holy', since we are criticizing a temptation that we do not face. The 'sin' we are spending most of our time talking about is one that 90% of Christians would never consider breaking, which says to me we probably shouldn't care as much as we do.
    Anyway, thanks for reading, and for continuing the conversation, I really appreciate your engagement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and Yes to points one and two...plus I want to say your zwieback looks amazing.
      I'm curious about what you've said about the focus on same sex relationships being a distraction from the larger questions of economic justice and right relationships. I've noticed in this conversation and others that if a person like me talks about same sex relationships with a perspective that includes sexual morality, then I'm somehow distracted from the larger issues of justice. However, if a person talks about same sex relationships from the perspective of justice, well then kudos to them for keeping to the larger issues of Jesus' teachings. It seems to me one can't have a conversation about justice without sexual morality; both have everything to do with right relationships.

      Delete
    2. Brett, these responses are getting compressed, I'm going to start again at the bottom.

      Delete
  3. Where, in scripture does it say anything about God's BLESSING on same sex unions? Male and female He created them. Multiply and replenish the earth. Therefore, a MAN shall leave his mother and father and cleave unto his WIFE. Twisting scripture is not going to justify sin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, this is better! Anyway, I appreciate your last point-it probably is not fair to talk about 'more important issues', since that is a line that seems to annoy both sides-when Elizabeth Soto said something similar, she got a lot of flack from liberal people as well.
    So maybe I can put it in a better way- I do think this is an important question of right relationships- if I didn't, I'd just go along with the majority! It is really important to me that my friends and family who are LBTQ are fully affirmed and included in the church, because I think that demonstrates the inclusive love of Jesus.
    At the same time, I think it is also true that the church has been overly concerned with human sexuality for generations, and gay and lesbian relationships in particular for the last 30 years. When the popular culture thinks first of sex when they think about Christianity, then we've missed the mark-Jesus did not teach about sex more than poverty, grace, and God's kingdom. So I'd like to see us (the church universal) acknowledge that we've let this issue gain to much authority to divide us from one another.
    So when I say 'there are more important issues' what I mean is that I am willing to be church with people all over the spectrum on the question of human sexuality, because I don't think it should dismember us in the body of Christ, not that I don't think it is significant or important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The salient point is whether or not homosexuality is a sin. If it is, as I believe the bible teaches, then the church should not be ashamed or kowtowed into saying that it isn't or that it is less important than other sins. However, it is vital to remember that there are myriad sins and that different people struggle in different ways. The church has been far too condemning of homosexuals for decades, when it should be loving them. That's not to say that loving the person requires approval of that person's sin. Nor does such love require tolerance of teachings that are adverse to scripture. Rather, loving your neighbor requires honesty and integrity, gentleness and humility. As long as the approach of many Christians to homosexuality is hostility to the person struggling with this sin, no love can be communicated and no healing can occur.

    My question arises from how that reaction should look. Society is exerting great pressure on the church to accept homosexuality and tolerate nontraditional viewpoints. In response, the church exerts a lot of energy into asserting traditional values. The end result is that homosexuals feel singled out and condemned. The hard part of this to me is, how can the church stick to its beliefs and not come across as condemning when society continually forces the issue of homosexuality and demands it to be viewed as righteous? In Corinthians, Paul does not single out homosexuality as sin, but mentions it in the same context as other sexual immorality, adultery, thievery, drunkenness, slander and other sins. The difference is that there is no concentrated effort in society to defend adultery, thievery, or drunkenness as righteous behavior. How does the church, then, stand on the word of God and love sinners without stamping approval upon their (our) sin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I appreciate this challenge, but there is one thing I'd point out-there is certainly a concerted effort in our modern society to suggest that drunkenness and slander and thievery are righteous behavior- we celebrate alcohol culture, we honor cable news programs slinging accusations across political aisles, and we celebrate Wall Street as the best of our society. It is the church that has decided to give our stamp of approval to these popular sins, while condemning people who are LGBTQ with hostility, and I don' think that reflects well on us.

      Delete
  6. My thoughts on the current homosexuality dicussion happening in the North American Mennonite church:

    As a married person, I have failed Paul's instructions to be celibate; I have already fallen short of the mark.

    Therefore I must approach discussion on my own and others sexuality with humility and caution.

    The fundamental question is "why do we attend church"?

    If we attend because we are imperfect people who have sinned and seek the grace of God, we should be very hesitant to block others from similar seeking.

    If we attend to share in the story of Jesus Christ and his love, that love should be shared with our neighbours, and the bible stories about 'who is my neighbour' are quite inclusive.

    If we attend for fellowship, we should be pleased to have more participants.

    If we attend for the singing, then we should be pleased to have a larger choir.

    If we attend to have a safe place of refuge for people who are just like us, that is not a Christian church but a social club.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1 Corinthians 6:9-11
    9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
    10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.
    11 Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate Vern Rempel's reflections on how we read 1st Corinthians 6 http://soulreport.wordpress.com/2014/02/20/the-eight-bible-verses-about-same-sex-relations/. In short, homosexuals is a dangerously broad translation from the Greek.
      My only further response is that we are all sinners who do not deserve to inherit the kingdom of God, but we have all been washed and sanctified and justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and thus we have been adopted by God as children of the promise, saved by grace and not by works, so that none shall boast, and a list of sins that condemns me not to inherit the kingdom of God (both covetous and reviling are sins I have committed) reminds me not to judge my gay and lesbian brothers and sisters in Christ, but instead to celebrate that we are all saved by the love of God in Jesus Christ.

      Delete
    2. The literal translation for homosexual from the Greek is sodomite. A broad translation? Are you kidding? Me Judge? These are not my words, this is God speaking and we would do well to listen up. If I don 't tell the truth and warn, not judge ANY one Gods anger over any and all sin as HE defines it then I would be passing judgment, that they are not in my eyes worthy of the only message that will lead to REPENTANCE and faith in Jesus Christ. All must decide if they love there sin or God. A true and genuine faith in Christ will lead to repentance and obedience to God's word.

      Delete
  8. What kind of love is it that would propagate a lie as to cost a person there salvation? If you believe in sin as you say, then what happened to repentance? Christ did indeed rub shoulders with sinners, after all he did say the sick not the well need a physician. He also said to the woman caught in adultery to go and sin no more.
    You can not love your sin more the God. One can only serve one master, just like all of the rest of us, the homosexual will have to decide who they will serve. There own sexual desires or God.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What kind of love is it that would propagate a lie as to cost someone there salvation? If you believe in sin you must be familiar with repentance. Jesus rubbed shoulders with sinners because as he said it's the sick not the well who needs a physician. And he told the woman caught in adultery to go and "sin no more".
    The homosexual must decide just like any heterosexual struggling with pornography, or his relationship with the girl at the office, who he will serve, his own sexual desirers or his God. The choice has to be made. Welcome the homosexual in, but don't lie to him or her. Love them enough to tell them the truth so they might be saved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is unfair to parallel healthy life giving relationships between people of the same gender with destructive patterns like pornography and adultery. If you have, with the apostle Paul, concluded that all sexual relationships are suspect, and have chosen a life of celibacy because of it, then more power to you. But most heterosexual people get to enjoy sexual desires in marriage, and then they try and prohibit those same desires for gay and lesbian people, which strikes me as contrary to God's will for Christians and the church.

      Delete
    2. God knows homosexuality as destructive right along with pornography and adultery. Paul simply said you could serve God better if you didn't have a wife to please. And by the way I've been married for over 25 years with six kids. And heterosexual people do enjoy sex in the bounds marriage because that is how God designed it from the beginning. You make it sound that there are no probations for anyone but homosexuals. That is not true. ANY sexual relations outside of God's design for marriage is sin and we are not given the right to mess with it.

      Delete
  10. Jesus never said keep on sinning it goes against his nature to condone sin.
    He is holy.
    The bible says plainly homosexuality is sin so to accept this lifestyle would be loving sin more then God himself.
    If someone disagrees with homosexuality it means hate it doesn't it just means we don't condone sin.

    ReplyDelete