Wednesday, March 23, 2011

How to have a discussion

One thing I'm always wrestling with is what it means to be in right relationship-to deal with difficult issues well, to honor the different ideas, decisions, and understandings we all have, while still having a perspective and a commitment of your own.

That is why I've gotten trained in Mediation from the Kansas Institute of Peace and Conflict Resolution and in the Circle process with the Saint Louis area Restorative Justice Collaboration . It is in the spirit of restorative justice and good human relationships that I present this graphic (click to enlarge):

thought catologue
which I found today.
In particular, I think it is really important to be willing to change one's mind based on the evidence, and to listen for your own bad arguments.
I think this is a limited graphic of course-there are other kinds of conversations, that don't involve argument. We can tell stories, exchange experiences, confess, commiserate, and teach, but it is important, I think, to know the ethics of conversation, and that a debate with entrenched positions is usually useful only as public spectacle, rather than the parties involved.

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! Now if only if only everyone could actually stick to those rules *sigh*

    ReplyDelete