Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I don't quite know what to do with this

So this is mostly off topic, but I wanted to use my small little voice here in the world to communicate a bit of my frustration. A friend recently reminded me that shouting out into the void at least helps us feel better, and sometimes, when enough people shout, something changes.



Recently, documents have been released outlining the United States torture policy at Guantanamo Bay, and it makes me sad to know that our country committed war crimes.

Here is a good summary of what was official US policy:
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2010/03/09/waterboarding_for_dummies/index.html

a key quote:
The documents also lay out, in chilling detail, exactly what should occur in each two-hour waterboarding "session." Interrogators were instructed to start pouring water right after a detainee exhaled, to ensure he inhaled water, not air, in his next breath. They could use their hands to "dam the runoff" and prevent water from spilling out of a detainee's mouth. They were allowed six separate 40-second "applications" of liquid in each two-hour session – and could dump water over a detainee's nose and mouth for a total of 12 minutes a day. Finally, to keep detainees alive even if they inhaled their own vomit during a session – a not-uncommon side effect of waterboarding – the prisoners were kept on a liquid diet. The agency recommended Ensure Plus.

1 comment:

  1. That is beyond chilling. I made myself read the entire Salon piece rather than look away when I wanted to. I don't know what to do with this, either, except use it to goad myself into action when the conflict-averse side of me does not want to go to the next anti-war anything.

    It's so hard to think about the victims of this that I found myself thinking about psychological/spiritual damage to the perpetrators. Can you imagine trying to relate to a spouse or child after that? "Gee, honey, how was your day?"

    ReplyDelete